To our partners, colleagues, and friends:
Thank you for your care in uncertain times like these. The COVID-19 situation is changing so quickly, and we want to be an advocate for good and a force for change and relief at this time.
We have been working to find the most effective and impactful ways to provide support. Below, we are sharing our suggestions for how you can help to make a difference.
Our primary recommendation is to find nonprofits in your area who are working to bolster safety nets and provide aid to the underrepresented in your community. Look for food pantries, income replacement, housing assistance, credit counseling, and additional help with preparedness. We’ve found these examples in our community to spur inspiration:
- Greater Chicago Food Depository (EIN 36-2971864) and Lakeview Pantry (EIN 36-2734184): Ending hunger in the food insecure neighborhoods of our city.
- Chicago Coalition for the Homeless (EIN 36-3292607): Organizing and advocating to prevent and end homelessness.
- Chicago HOPES for Kids (EIN 27-4360899): Providing educational support for children living in Chicago’s homeless shelters.
With school, business, and other closures, many are left without resources and funds that help them prepare against coronavirus and the already underrepresented members of our communities become more so.
On a larger scale, you can support nonprofit organizations working across the nation to support communities:
- Feeding America (EIN 36-3673599): Working to end hunger nationally.
- Delivering Good (EIN 13-3300271): Donating new merchandise to help people in need
We also suggest the CDC Foundation (EIN 58-2106707) who has stated their funds will specifically go to:
- Expand testing and data capabilities to better prevent, detect and respond to COVID-19
- Deploy emergency staffing with the skills required to meet the needs on the front lines at the state and local level
- Fund and deliver critical home essentials, such as food and medical needs to quarantined and isolated individuals
- Develop education and awareness campaigns to advance prevention and reduce stigma
- Build capacity and infrastructure for global response efforts and other immediate needs as they evolve
Working on local and national levels is the best way to ensure that your donations are directly going to provide aid in the wake of coronavirus. We also fully support providing funds to major nonprofits working toward international relief. It’s important to note that we guarantee your donations will go to these nonprofits but we can’t promise that the nonprofit will direct the funds you raise to their COVID-19 relief efforts.
- Save the Children (EIN 06-0726487): Protecting health workers and providing supplies
- Share Our Strength (EIN 52-1367538): Advocating for support and have disaster relief programs
- Doctors Without Borders (EIN 13-3433452) : Providing aid internationally
- UNICEF (EIN 13-1760110): Sending supplies and support
We are currently seeing an economic downturn reminiscent of the recession in 2008 and we bear in mind that historical perspective can drive future actions. Cone Communication’s first Cause Consumer Behavior Study, released in 2008, states the trend that customers will set a high bar for businesses to maintain philanthropic efforts if not take on more during a poor economic climate.
As a part of the Giving Economy, you allow your shoppers to stretch their dollars by providing essential aid to nonprofits. Reinvest into your customer and community by sharing your impact and growing your cause-based efforts. It is more important than ever before to support and stand up for your customers. By doing so, you’ll be boosting the economy, aiding struggling nonprofits and showing your customers your true values in a time when others would shy away.
Set a default, increase multipliers, empower your customers to choose their own causes. Brands who take the steps to be conscious in times like these create incredibly powerful customer relationships. We know you are conscious companies that think ahead and lead with heart and when the dust settles, your shoppers will remember the effort you made in the name of impact.
Thank you again for your dedication to advocacy, your questions on how to help, and your drive to make a change. We’re inspired by your efforts daily. If you have any questions or ideas on how to activate, please reach out.
If you have any questions or would like to discuss ways you’d like to give please reach out to us here.
Wishing everyone health and happiness. We are working to empathize and prioritize the health and well-being of ourselves and those around us, and we hope you do the same.